What You Should Know
From the start of a criminal defence case, it is important for the client to clearly understand their rights and to enforce them, as in a criminal proceeding there is no time for errors, especially on the defence part.
What you should know:
- You have the right to be represented by a criminal lawyer of your choice. Whether you are summoned to testify or are detained by the national police, the Mossos d’Esquadra, Policía Canaria, Policía Foral de Navarra, Ertzaintza, local Police, or the civil guard, you reserve the right to contract a lawyer. You can contact one of our criminal lawyers if you require a representative.
- Our criminal lawyers recommend that you speak with your criminal lawyer before declaring. The criminal lawyer will indicate to you if it is better to declare or not, and in this case, you will have the right to not declare. In some cases, the proceedings may have been declared in secret and your lawyer cannot always obtain them before your declaration. In these cases, it is essential to receive good legal advice. Clearly, you should never declare nor sign anything without your lawyer.
- If you think that there have been anomalies in your detention, explain this to your lawyer and particularly if any aggression or threat has existed. In cases of illegal detentions, you can request the habeas corpus.
- If you believe that you need a doctor, request one. For example, in cases of having any illness, injury or mental disorder. If you also have any addictions, in addition to telling the doctors, let your criminal lawyer know, as it can be very useful for the case to know if you were acting under the influence of substances.
- In the preparation of your defence, the first moments are extremely important. Save all the documents which you think may serve your defence and identify the witnesses.
- A criminal accusation is something very serious, you should not leave your criminal defence until the moment you are in court. A sentence or conviction can have associations, from fines to prison sentences. Sentences can also result in your economic ruin.
Our criminal lawyers have extensive experience defending clients for all types of crimes. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are having crime-related problems.
From the first moment, your criminal lawyer will defend your case, setting out a first strategy. For this reason, it is important to choose an excellent criminal lawyer from the earliest stage of your case.
Should you require further information regarding Criminal Defence, or you require representation in court, our firm can provide advice. Please do not hesitate to contact our lawyers.